It’s the rainy season again and there’s a 50 percent chance that the rain may penetrate through the wall of your apartment, if you are leaving in an area with bad drainage or you are not well prepared for the season.
If you notice that your interior finishing is wearing off, clothes in the wardrobe start to develop white spots, wall dampness then the rainy season is taking its toll on your apartment.
So how do you reduce home humidity levels? There are ways to lower the humidity once you become more aware of what is raising the level in the first place. They are as follow;
- Ventilate, especially the areas that create moisture, like the kitchen and bathroom. When vent fans are present, make sure to turn them on and/or leave them on longer. Especially in the kitchen, bathroom, and basement. If not, consider having them installed by an electrician.
- Increase indoor temperature because warm air can hold more moisture (relative humidity decreases if temperature increases).
- Use fans to increase ventilation
- Run the AC. Since this option is costly other possible measures are preferred.
- While cooking, try to cover your food and take full advantage of the exhaust fans in which your home is equipped. Oven and stove-top cooking produce more moisture. Slow cookers contribute less to indoor humidity.
- Place the clothes dryers outside.
- Fix cracks in walls with a high quality wall product.
- Air-conditioning drain lines and drip pans should be kept clean and unobstructed.
- Keep gutters clean.
- You may also want to use a dehumidifier if maintaining your humidity has become an issue or you live in an older, less ventilated building. Dehumidifiers are commonly placed in basements since they are underground and do not get a lot of warmth or direct sunlight, or in bathrooms without windows or specific areas in the home that require moist removal. Dehumidifiers work best with closed doors and windows. In order to ensure proper circulation dehumidifiers need to be placed away from walls and furniture. Except for models that have an air vent on top.
Join The Discussion